Vince St. Germain, eLearning and Instructional Technology Specialist, assisted in facilitating a livestream with live captions using Blackboard Collaborate for the Multicultural Affairs department at GVSU.
This event was held as part of GVSU’s Native American Heritage Month on Monday, November 12 from 4 – 6 pm in the Kirkhof Center. Using Blackboard Collaborate, the event was streamed live to a variety of remote locations.
Where many people in the United States celebrate Thanksgiving and may perceive it as a harmless and apolitical holiday, it remains to be a complicated holiday and a painful reminder of colonial violence and indigenous erasure for American Indian communities. This panel will explore how the myths and lies of Thanksgiving are taught and reinforced in the school systems. Invited panelists will discuss how they educate about Thanksgiving and have a focused discussion on creating culturally-appropriate curriculum reflective of the contemporary experiences of American Indians.
The audience will leave this lively discussion with an understanding of how the Thanksgiving myth does harm and receive resources, strategies, and best practices on how to intervene on inaccurate representations about American Indians in the school systems and our communities.
- Andrea Riley Mukavetz, Liberal Studies Department, Chippewa of Thames First Nations
- Steve Perry, artist, educator, and philanthropist, LTBB and Garden River Ojibwe
- Hunter Genia, Resilience Counseling and Consultation, Gun Lake
- Levi Rickert, Native News Online, Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation
- Jannan Cotto, Director of Niigaandiwin Education Department for LTBB, LTBB
- Amanda Weinert, Curriculum Specialist for Niigaandiwin Education Department for LTBB, LTBB
About Blackboard Collaborate
Blackboard Collaborate™ is a simple, convenient, and reliable online collaborative learning solution. Collaborate delivers a level of engagement that makes learners feel like they’re together in the same room via collaboration and conference tools.
Collaborate provides opportunities for:
- Live Class Sessions
- Online Office Hours
- Online Guest Speakers
- Study Sessions
- Small Group Projects
- and more!