On Wednesday, October 10, Glenna Decker, instructional designer, and Eric Kunnen, associate director of elearning, delivered a webinar for the Blackboard Innovative Teaching Series (BITS).
Their session title was “Improving Student Engagement and Retention through the Community of Inquiry”. Over 700 attendees registered for the webinar. The session provided attendees with an overview of the importance of student engagement and retention in higher education, an introduction to the Community of Inquiry model, and a variety of tips, application, and suggestions for integrating CoI principles into courses in Blackboard.
Student engagement and retention continues to be central as a success measure in higher education. The Community of Inquiry (CoI) Framework provides an opportunity to focus on learning as a result of interaction of social, cognitive, and teaching presence. Through purposeful instructional design, the students’ educational experience can lead to higher satisfaction and better learning through active engagement and the application of CoI.
A selfie before the start the BITS webinar with Glenna Decker, instructional designer (left), and Eric Kunnen, associate director (right), from eLearning and Emerging Technologies.
Community of Inquiry TIP Sheets on IDeL Website
About Blackboard Innovative Teaching Series (BITS)
The Blackboard Innovative Teaching Series (BITS) is comprised of bi-monthly professional development webinars for faculty, instructional technologists, course designers, and faculty trainers. Participants learn the top strategies and pedagogy for both increasing educator efficiency and improving learning outcomes during these free webinars that are taught by educators and supported by Blackboard experts.
2018 Fall Webinar Schedule
- Wednesday, August 8, 1:00 pm Eastern
- Topic: An Ally to Inclusive Learning: How Accessibility and UDL Benefit All Learners
Presenters: Nicolaas Matthijs, Blackboard and John Scott, Blackboard
- Thursday, August 23, 3:00 pm Eastern
- Topic: Back-to-School Guide for Learning and Beyond
Presenters: Edgar Gonzalez, Blackboard and Rita Vela, Blackboard
- Wednesday, September 12, 1:00 pm Eastern (Spanish Session)
- Topic: Blackboard BbLearn como una herramienta de investigación para la mejora continua de la docencia virtual
Presenter: José Ortiz Dr. Msc.
- Thursday, September 27, 3:00 pm Eastern (Spanish Session)
- Topic: Retos y desafíos al implementar la evaluación por competencias en Blackboard
Presenter: Silvana Balarezo
- Wednesday, October 10, 1:00 pm Eastern
- Topic: Improving Student Engagement and Retention Through the Community of Inquiry
Presenters: Eric Kunnen, Grand Valley State University and Glenna Decker, Grand Valley State University
- Thursday, October 25, 3:00 pm Eastern
- Topic: E-hybrid model: Service learning in a distance learning course
Presenter: Dr. Amar Kanekar, University of Arkansas, Little Rock
- Wednesday, November 14, 1:00 pm Eastern
- Topic: Teaching Innovations for Music Courses, via Distance-learning. Resources & Strategies
Presenter: Linda Holzer, University of Arkansas, Little Rock
For more information about each session, to register, and to view recordings of sessions on demand, please visit the BITS registration page.